Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mind Boggling Discoveries - Issue 4

So how does this all connect? LOLWell this angst is what drives us to create new maps. It's what causes us to seek to better ourselve and perhaps start looking for someone like myself: a Professional Coach.So what needs to be done? Well the first step is to become mindfully aware (this is where the meditation info fits in) of what it is we are experiencing. It's not the end of the world but a drive to do some new mapping.As a coach I get to ask the questions that focusses you on what really IS the problem. What REALLY is this angst all about.Do I need to know the details? As David Rock is fond of writing: Interesting but not very useful. The only one who needs to be the "keeper of the details" is you. Remember? Focussing on the hardwiring (the details) only embeds it all deeper.My job is to lead you to the moment where inspiration will occur to you. I can see and hear when this moment is about to happen. You pause, your eyes move upward, you might sigh or go hmmmm then wham you get that new connection and the energy blast that goes with it. It might be as mild as: Hmmm I never thought of it that way. Or it can be as dramatic as OMG!Because attention is a powerful aspect of perception I will focus on that moment. It will get nurtured and talked about until it is firmly anchored in your maps, firmly networked.And I can spend the rest of the time creating ways to build even more networks. I don't even have to be there. I can create attention by asking you to take a step in that direction and then telling me what happened the next week we get together (delayed feedback - ever heard of that?). The delayed feedback requires the client to constantly have the new map in their current working memory. And remember visual is faster and takes up less space.All it takes, to firmly anchor new hard-wiring, is 30 seconds of attention to it and the AHA feeling only lasts up to an hour. So that initial time up to and after an insight or inspiration are critical.This is where building goals and offering support are so important. Support needs to be positive and regular to firmly entrench the new hard-wiring.What else does this mean? Well my theory is this: it gets harder to learn new things as I get older. This old dog is slowly weeding out the useless maps. Thank goodness we have a surplus of neurons to begin with.

No comments: