Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I'm always on the lookout for ways to expand my brain and have me think in new ways. This summer was no exception.

I was referred to a book called, "The Girls from Ames". It inspired me, to say the least.

I was at first jealous when I read about the relationship between all these women, from girlhood to adulthood. The connections are strong and have been forged through all the years of joys, heartache, trials and successes.


But it took this book to make me realize that, I too, have similar relationships. Like these woman, we all met when we were young, in fact from birth. We all grew up through the years, keep in contact and quite often meet to share, reminisce, laugh and cry.


Like the women in the book, we are often in weekly and sometimes daily contact. The girls from Ames looked to each other for support, comfort and acknowledgement. My group of close friends are the same. The only difference is, I am related to the women in my life. The women who make my close knit circle are my sisters.


I am so glad I read this book to make me realize and appreciate the friendship that has been there all along. It took a heartfelt and enjoyable book, like this to wake me up to the treasure I had in my own life.


There are funny moments, sad moments and excruciating moments in this book. It will make you laugh out loud and silently look through blurry eyes of tears. Good summer read for the women in this world. We need books like this to affirm what we have always known: women know how to create, nurture and sustain powerful relationships.... they are our lifeblood.


No comments: